Monday, March 17, 2008

Prayers for Staysha


Below is what I received from Tara and I want to share this with all of you. Staysha is such a precious little girl. She could use all the prayers in the world right now. I encourage people to comment so I can pass this on to the family. THANKS
We took Staysha to the ER in Brookings on Sunday, March 9th b/c we were pretty sure that she had Influenza beings as my step-daughter had it a week prior. Sure enough she tested positive for Influenza B ( the worst kind). We went home to rest and at 2am Monday morning, she spiked a temp of 105.7...so we brought her to the Sanford hospital in SF. She was having a tough time breathing so they put her on oxygen right away and also got an IV started. She was transferred from the ER to her room within a few hours and by 3pm Monday, she was in the PICU. They felt that she needed to be closely monitored b/c of her breathing. She spent the rest of Monday and all of Tuesday in there and then they moved her out to the regular peds floor on Wednesday. They did take the oxygen off of her thinking that she was getting better with the neb treatments. That didn't last long...she kept having panic attacks. So the oxygen went back on. She was only in that room until Thursday afternoon and then they moved her over to another wing on the peds floor so she could be on a central monitor that the nurses watch constantly. Thursday night was especially bad...she was up every half hour going to the bathroom and continued to have panic attacks b/c she could not breath. She kept telling me that she was going to die. That was extremely hard to hear! Friday morning they took her down to the OR to do a bronchoscopy on her. That is where they stick a camera down her throat to see if they can find the problem. They worked on her for a little over an hour and came back and said that there was a bunch of mucus like junk in her trachea. It was blocking her airway and that was what was causing her to have the panic attacks. There was only a hole the size of a pea to breath through. No wonder she thought that she was dying....she felt like she was suffocating!!! They did inabate her ( put a breathing tube down her throat) and she is paralyzed right now. They want to keep her that way so she doesn't move and it gives her a chance to heal a little. Friday and Saturday were as normal as they possibly could be and then on Sunday her right lung collapsed. There was a cyst like pocket that burst and that is what caused her lung to do that. So she now has a chest tube in her as well. Today will determine what happens from here. They will go in and do another bronch on her to see how everything looks. We will then find out when they plan on bringing her off the breathing machine. So please pray for her b/c I can't go home without her!!!




17 comments:

Judy said...

All my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May God help you in this time of need. God bless you and your family.

Firefighter/EMT said...

Tara,

I am Kathy's sister Sue from Nebraska. I have contacted all my friends and she is on a prayer chain here. Staysha is such a beautiful girl. When Kathy called on Friday my heart dropped as no Mother should have to go through this. Just know that there are a lot of people that are thinking of you and are keeping Staysha and your entire family in their prayers!

Sue

Firefighter/EMT said...

I couldn't leave a comment, but please pass on my prayer for them.

Prayers are up. Lord be not far off, come quickly to save. In all this difficulty, reveal your grace, your mercy and your love for this family and in you, may they find peace in this difficult time.

Mike W. (Wisconsin)

Patty said...

Hello I am one of Sue's prayer warriors from Nebraska. Reading the blog about your daughter brought me to tears because as a mother of 2 beautiful girls I can only imagine the fear and anxiety you must be feeling. But remember that God also knows your anxiety and fear. He gave His one and only son to suffer and die for you because he loved you so much. Because of this great love, you need not put your trust in man. Put your trust only in Lord. As Psalm 55:22 tells us, "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall." God will bless you, your beautiful daughter and all who love her. God is with you and God is listening to all of the prayers by all who care.

God Bless and keep you in His loving care!
Patty from Nebraska

LeeAnn said...

How hard to see Staysha like this! We are praying for you!! Take care of one another, lean on your faith and your family and friends. She will be home soon.
Blessings to you all-
LeeAnn, Eric, Tristian and Taylor Hokenson

Shel said...

I will make sure we get Staysha added to our pray list at Bible Study tonight.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Shelly

Heather said...

Oh mommy! This is a friend of Kathy's that believes in a Holy God who is in control and loves each one of us so much and works all things for the best.
As a mother of 3, my heart aches for you and your daughter!
I will continue to lift you both up for strength, healing, comfort, peace, and encouragement. I believe in the power of prayer as it is clear in the Bible. So, keep praying, and pray with all your mind, heart, and soul, and I think there are many others who are with you. God hears our prayers.
Your baby girl is going to be ok. Cling to God, that is the only way all the time, but is especially comforting in times of trial and refining.
Remember, God so loved the world (you and Staysha) that He gave His only begotten Son...so He understands the pain of a suffering child. Jesus understands the pain of suffering. Cling tight, they understand and LOVE YOU!
My heart, thoughts, and PRAYERS are with you! Please take refuge in the shadow of God's wings, and may you both be blessed!
Much love in Christ,
Heather

Russow family said...

Staysha is in my daughter Carlee's second grade class. She came home from school today and said we needed to pray for Staysha. We also emailed our pastor and friends.
Carlee said to tell Staysha that her class misses her,and to tell her to get well soon!

Sara said...

Hi Kathy...didn't know you had a blog...cool! So sad to hear about Staysha. I do know Tara...miracles happen every day! Let the strength of others who love and care about you, carry you through this very tough time and allow God's peace to overwhelm you when you feel you can't take anymore. We are praying.

The Theo. Family said...

I am Staysha's teacher and I miss seeing her smile each day. It is so hard to see her so sick, she is such a sweet little girl! I know she is strong and will fight hard to get better. My thoughts and prayers are with little Staysha and the family. Please tell Staysha that her classmates miss her very much and can't wait to see her back at school. They know that she is very sick and needs lots of good thoughts and prayers. Today in class one little girl told all of us that she took the microphone at church on Sunday and asked everyone there to pray for her friend Staysha. I'm sure with 22 children hoping and praying for Staysha, she will recover soon. So as many have said, just know that many people are thinking of Staysha and the entire family and know she will fight to get well soon.

Unknown said...

Tara I am Kathys mom in law. Been praying ever since kathy made me aware of Staysha's need for healing touch of God. It broke my heart to see how she was with the tubes and wires in her and if it can touch the human heart like that how much more Gods, who made her. I have let the prayer warriors I know to pray for her too and you and your family as well for all of your needs. We are praying believing for Gods divine intervention on behalf of your daughter. Can't wait to meet her, she is my grandson Austins age. God bless and keep you, Mary

Dawn Hendrickson said...

Tara-I can not imagine what you are feeling. Please know that many people are praying for Staysha. She will be a part of my families prayers until she is home.

Dawn

Mariah said...

I know that you are not understanding what is happening to your daughter and things are hard right now, the doctors will make the right decisions on what to do next. You have to leave that up to the doctors, but God is in complete control. We have a heart baby and did not agree with everything that the doctors wanted and ended up with a trach. I just want you to know that Miracles Do Happen, Believe In Them!!!!!! You are in our prayers and I will pass it along to our church prayer chain.

Mariah

Julie S said...

I am a friend and fellow hockey mom with Kathy. I read this email and my heart just sank. I have 3 children and my youngest is a 1st grader at Medary with Austin. We also have had a scare with Influenza B recently, which my youngest spent 10 days in bed, in fact just went back to school today. This is such a scary virus! He came home today and the first thing he told me about was Staysha...rest assured that she is in many thoughts and prayers! Always remember...IF GOD BRINGS YOU TO IT, HE WILL BRING YOU THROUGH IT!! Stay Strong!!

Jennisa said...

Thanks, Kathy, for making our family aware of this girl. I will definitely keep her in my prayers....

Stacie J said...

I hope Staysha is already feeling better so she can go home soon!
HUGS and prayers,
Stacie

Anonymous said...

Dear God,

Please help Staysha to heal. She has endured so much, and I pray that you are with her and her family during this horrible time.

Amen.